Downtown Rutland
The heart of Rutland County.


Permits needed for construction, events, and more in Downtown Rutland, Vermont.


Business License

If you are looking to open a restaurant, bar, deli, hotel or want to have a circus, show or carnival or a peddler’s license you must obtain a business license from the Clerk’s Office of City Hall in Rutland. See details here.

Application for
Architectural Review

In order to preserve Downtown’s architectural character under the Downtown Historic District, specific design guidelines for renovations and new construction have been developed. Those guidelines can be found here or at The Downtown Architectural Review Committee (ARC) must review all plans before the project can proceed. 

Building & Zoning Permit Application

Building and/or Zoning Permits may be required, depending on the project. See guidelines and permit fees to determine which application is necessary for your project.

Liquor License
& Tobacco Application:

If you are a restaurant, hotel, club or commercial kitchen you must obtain a liquor license. License Year is May 1st through April 30th of following year. Download a form here. For more information about forms to operate a restaurant or bar or to download individual application forms, click here.

On May 7, 2001, the Rutland City Board of Alderman adopted a local Gross Receipts Tax on Rooms, Meals and Entertainment. The ordinance provides for a 1% tax on the gross receipts of Rooms, Meals and Entertainment within the City. This tax is due and payable each and every month on the enclosed form RMETAX. Download the tax id application form here, and pay your taxes at the portal here.

Rooms, Meals &
Entertainment Taxes

The Department of Liquor Control requires a permit for outdoor alcohol consumption. If you are bar, restaurant, club or hotel with an outdoor area or are temporarily setting up an outdoor space for an event, you must obtain a permit. Download the state's form here. All permits must be approved by the Rutland City Clerk and by the city's Board of Aldermen's Board of Control Commissioners.

Outside Consumption Permit

Sign Application
& Permit

A Sign Permit is required for New signage ($50.00 fee) and/or Face change only (no fee). Permits and instructions are available at the Building & Zoning office. Download a copy here or view more details

Any event or gathering taking place in the city’s right-of-way, including but not limited to city parks, city streets, and city sidewalks, requires a permit. Download the Special Event Permit Application and refer to our "Downtown Event Planning Guide" for more detailed information.

Special Events Permit